Broad Reach Power is a utility-scale storage independent power producer backed by leading energy investors EnCap Energy Transition, Yorktown Partners, Mercuria Energy and Apollo Infrastructure Funds.
The formation of Broad Reach Power was significant as the company’s utility-scale battery plants give utilities, generators and customers in Texas and California access to technological insight and tools for managing merchant power risk so they can better match supply and demand. At its inception, Broad Reach Power was also the first non-oil and gas investment by two leading energy private equity firms EnCap, as part of their EnCap Energy Transition Fund I, and Yorktown Partners.
Broad Reach wanted to garner attention around the announcement of the company’s launch, create a robust web presence, and generate media coverage.
Broad Reach Power, a utility-scale storage independent power producer backed by leading energy investors EnCap Investments L.P. (EnCap) and Yorktown Partners, partnered with Pierpont to announce the company’s launch in September 2019.
The new company’s formation was significant for a number of reasons, as it sought to pursue opportunities where market fundamentals are driving demand for flexible, fast-responding generation and Broad Reach was the first non-oil and gas investment by leading energy private equity firms EnCap and Yorktown.
Throughout Pierpont’s four-year engagement with Broad Reach Power, we supported thirteen major announcements including:
- Broad Reach’s investment and construction of 15 battery storage projects in Texas
- Acquisitions of two 100-MW battery storage projects in Texas, a 25-MW/100-MWh Battery Storage Project in California and 250-MW wind and 250-MW solar projects in Montana
- Investments with industry giants CATL, Sungrow and SYL Battery
- Major corporate partnerships with Meta, REsurety and Lancium
- Over $500 million worth of financing announcements
During this time, Pierpont successfully positioned Broad Reach Power in the media as the leading U.S. developer and operator of renewable energy and energy storage power projects in Texas, California, and other markets.
Pierpont’s media relations efforts garnered regular coverage including:
- Top-Tier Media:
- The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, Reuters, and The Financial Times
- Energy Trades:
- Infralogic, Peak Load, Power Finance & Risk, Hart Energy, Utility Dive, The American Public Power Association, Canary Media and Energy Storage News
- Private Equity Media:
- Fortune, The Deal, PE Hub, MergerMarket, Infrastructure Investor and IPE Real Assets
- Local Media:
- The Houston Chronicle, The Houston Business Journal, and Houston Public Media
In the summer of 2023, Broad Reach Power was acquired by French multinational utility company ENGIE for a total equity value in excess of $1 billion.