At an AMA Houston Academy, Senior Vice President Chris Jones discussed crisis preparations for marketing teams, and the efforts marketers should own to minimize reputation damage and help ensure a better recovery after a crisis.
He addressed what marketers need to know and be responsible in a crisis response, from understanding who key stakeholders are and how to communicate with them, to maintaining your organization’s key messages and reputation through a crisis response. Among the many strategies and tactics he shared, Jones highlighted several key takeaways:
- Use your knowledge of the market, product and customer to inform your organization’s crisis management plan
- Know where exactly marketing fits into or supports the crisis management plan
- Ask to participate in any crisis exercises or drills
- Make sure your social media is tuned for crisis detection and response
- Stress test key marketing tools to make sure they are ready for crisis pace