Director of Marketing Dori Albora recently moderated an informative panel discussion on Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) in marketing.
The panel, which was part of the American Marketing Association’s Marketing Edge conference in Houston, included Nicole Elliot of BP, Bennett D. Bennett of The Gradient Group, Anna McKay of Parents Pivot, and Tammi Wallace of EnFocus Group and EnFocus Strategies. Some highlights from the panel discussion included:
- Diversity is really anyone that is different from you. D&I includes all sorts of diversity, not just LGBTQ+.
- Please don’t rainbow-wash your logo for pride week. Brands really need to be authentic, all year round, in order to be inclusive of minorities. Figure out what you can authentically stand behind. Don’t just do it because you want to fit in, or feel pressured to.
- Be an internal champion! The change needs to start somewhere, so why not with you? It may take some time to change leadership, and that’s ok! You won’t know unless you try.
- Make a business case for why the company should be more inclusive in their marketing. According to a study by Boston Consulting Group, diverse companies have a better bottom line!
- Having a diverse internal team sets a positive tone for how you should communicate externally.
Dori serves as the Vice President of Programming for the AMA’s largest chapter in the country, Houston. Learn more about Pierpont’s marketing practice and contact us today to see how we can help you build your marketing strategy.